I wanted to take this opportunity to say how proud I am of your efforts and patience with the topic of organizational technology and media. We are about to step it up a bit.
First, this week’s assignment (due next Tuesday 10/20):
Read the following PDF of Princeton University’s Social Media Guidelines. I think of it as an exemplar of this kind of document. 061611_Princeton_Social_Media_Policies
Answer the following questions in a post, and follow the guidelines of the template:
- What kinds of problems or issues do you predict in your organization’s social media usage and participation?
- What are the benefits for your particular organization in using social media to communicate and start discussions with stakeholders?
- What are some reasons that you might use Facebook versus Twitter versus Pinterest as platforms? Should your particular organization focus on one, use all three, or use these and others? If you are going to use others, what are they and why are you using them?
- What kinds of policies are you going to adopt for your organization’s social media policy document?
Presentation 1 (due 10/27):
Create a 1500 word post that defines the administrative guidelines for using a particular social media network. Use Princeton’s policy as an exemplar of form, ideas, and language. Yours will not be as comprehensive as Princeton’s (for several reasons, chief among them length), but will cover the same kinds of things, e.g. naming guidelines, responsibilities, posting of content, comment moderation, etc. I suggest that you use Google Drive to create and share the document, but you could write directly in WordPress.
Use the one page document as a presentation topic for a five-minute presentation or video, where you introduce the document, go over the major policies, and invite people to contact you if you have any questions. You will present or show the video in class on 10/27.
You could choose to do a screencast (record your voice over your computer’s screen) or a talking head video (a video of you talking) or a traditional presentation of slides (your image and/or voice over slides). You could use YouTube, a USB key, or Google Drive’s Slides to deliver the presentation.
Here is an example of a screencast that explains Facebook Analytics:
You should be presenting as if to the people who would be responsible for social media updates in your organization.
You will have a post up by class time on 10/27 that includes an upload of your social media policy document, and if it is convenient, your video. YouTube would make this especially easy.
609 553 9498. My key piece of advice? Don’t wait to get started on this. I would like to hear all of your questions next week. You should try to have a draft of your one-page sheet done next week.
- 10 Awesome Tips to Skyrocket Your Social Media ROI (sazbean.com)
- 10 Tips for Entrepreneurs on Social Media (blogs.findlaw.com)
- Utilizing social media- NIKE & PUMA. (solracd2013.wordpress.com)
- Examining Social Media in Organizations (noramf25.wordpress.com)
- Digital tools are key in small business growth (usatoday.com)